Saturday, July 10, 2010

Summer is for Blueberries

Many of my cake recipes that I brought with me from Texas don't work in the high altitude of Albuquerque. But, I was in the mood for blueberry coffee cake, and this recipe fit the ingredients I had in my kitchen, so I went for it! Look how beautiful it is in the middle! No sinking!
Blueberry Coffee Cake
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup chopped pecans
Streusel (optional):
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup cold butter

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add egg, milk and butter; beat well. Fold in blueberries and pecans. Spread into a greased 9- inch square baking pan. In another bowl, combine sugar and flour; cut in the butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over the batter. Bake at 375 for 35 - 40 minutes or until a wood pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 9 servings.

*Tip--I coated my blueberries in flour before adding them to the batter to keep the blueberries from sinking to the bottom.

4 comments:

Tania said...

I made this last night. The fam LOVED it!!! Thanks for the recipe!!

T

Sydni said...

Cool! I'm glad they liked it.

Linda B. said...

Mmmmmm. A "must try" recipe.

Linda B. said...

I made this coffee cake yesterday and it is almost all gone by today and it is just the 2 of us!!!! It is really good!!