Monday, August 26, 2013

Last First Day of High School


Allison at "Wonderland" Bakery in California

I blinked.  Some days I felt that if I just blinked fast enough, the day would end quickly as well.  Middle of the night feedings, potty training, temper tantrums in the grocery store, and math lessons with a frustrated child all made me want to blink rapidly.  However, some days, I didn't want to blink at all because I knew not only would the day end, but that the week would end, and then the month, and then suddenly a whole year would melt into another year and then another before I was ready.

I blinked and my first born started her senior year.  God made her creative, giving, funny, kind, and talented.  Life with Allison has been a wild ride.  If she isn't baking and decorating a couple of dozen complicated cupcakes or other treats, she's dancing in Christmas Joy, or starting her own movie production company.  I've been privileged to help her with each of these endeavors and many more.  Homeschooling has played a big part in her ability to create and find the time to chase her dreams.  I'm so grateful for the opportunity to choose the education I want my children to have.  When in the midst of tears over a math lesson (over and over again), or while trying to impress upon a resistant brain that science really IS important, I didn't always feel privileged or grateful.  But, God provided His grace for each and every day, and somehow, we've almost made it to the end with Allison. 

I look forward to the year, knowing that I'm going to blink again, and my daughter will be walking across a stage to receive her high school diploma. 

I love you, Allison.  Have a great senior year! 

1 comment:

Linda B said...

I love you too Allison. I can't believe my grandchildren are growing up so fast.