Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Challenge of Gift Giving

Klutz books that the three girls received for Christmas

The girls show off their creations.

Hook 'em horns, Grant!

Gift giving for the kids at the end of every year can be quite a challenge. What do I get them that they don't already have? What do they really NEED? What will they enjoy for more than just a day or two?

I love the Klutz books. My girls each got one this year, and they have already made something fun from them. The books promote creativity and keep the girls busy throughout the year.

Clothes are always something the kids need, and my kids really don't mind getting them as long as clothes are not the ONLY thing that they get. This year, I discovered that by waiting until Christmas Eve to do my Christmas shopping for my own children, the prices had dropped a tremendous amount! Old Navy was good to the girls this year.

I didn't buy any clothing for Grant because his Texas grandparents made sure to purchase him lots of T-shirts to insure that he does not forget his Texas heritage. I encourage this behavior, of course, and our indoctrination is almost complete. He loves his new Dallas Cowboys shirt, and found a new team that he can cheer for--UT! Next year, I'll teach him "Sic 'em Bears!"

They all received a lot of fun stuff too---American girl doll clothes, an arsenal of Nerf guns, baby dolls, stuffed animals, and many other things that they don't NEED. We are thankful for the many blessings God has bestowed upon us this year, but our greatest gift remains Jesus, our Lord and Savior.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Whenever I'm reminded of the fact that Jesus is the greatest gift anyone could ever receive, the song "Happy Birthday Jesus" will pop into my head. I need to remember that fact all year round.

Tania said...

Yay for Grant!!! Hook 'em horns!!! hehehe I had to get an orange cell phone so I had some pride in my local team! ;) love to all!
Tania

Anonymous said...

Horns? Bears? Bah!