Thursday, January 14, 2010

Weekly Report: January 2010

Last week, we got back to the basics after a two week Christmas break. Abby finished her math book and is now an expert on fractions. She began her new math book on decimals and percents.

Allison finished another section of her Figuratively Speaking book and put it all together in another informational lapbook. Great job Allison!



This week, we slowly began to add back in the extra stuff along with the basics. I found this website that had snowflake templates to print out. The kids had fun making some fancy snowflakes.

After we cut out the snowflakes, the kids strategically added some glue.
Then they sprinkled on white, silver, and blue glitter to give their snowflakes some sparkle. For some mess free glitter tips, check here.

Once the glue dried, we flipped the snowflakes over and glittered the other side.

They are now hanging as a mobile in our dining room where the light catches them and makes them gleam.

We will study this painting by Grandma Moses as a part of our study of winter paintings.
I am just glad to be back into the swing of school after the Christmas holidays!

14 comments:

Carrie said...

It's hard to get back into the swing of things after a break, huh?!

Looks like you guys had a great week! I love the snowflakes!! You're such a good mom to get out the glitter! ;)

Daisy said...

Is that Allison's handwriting on the poetry booklet? Beautiful.

Love the snowflakes.

Sydni said...

Daisy,

Yes, that's her handwriting.

Linda B. said...

Great job kids. That mobile is really pretty. I wish I had one. Love that Grandma's paintings.

Our Westmoreland School said...

Everything is so creative, how nice. Art is our worst subject, but it looks like you have that completely under control!

Thank you for sharing, there are some great ideas (iow, I may be borrowing these).

Smrt Mama said...

I love the poetry booklet!

Mandy in TN said...

Cool snowflakes! :-)

Christie said...

I love the snowflakes! Very pretty!!

Karen said...

Beautiful snowflakes and poetry booklet. Thanks for sharing. I just might have to do the snowflakes next time we get some snow.

MissMOE said...

Lovely snowflakes! I think we will try some of these next week--thanks for the link!

Gretchen said...

Doesn't "mess free" sort of miss the point of glitter? ;-) J/K--great ideas; I'll have to use them if I'm ever brave enough to break out our glitter again!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful work! Love it! Are your daughters twins? They look so much alike. Curious, I have twin sons.

Sydni said...

Kysha,

No, my oldest 2 dd's are actually 2 years apart. Lots of people think they are twins, and they are so much alike we always tell them that they should have been twins!

Liza Q said...

We're working on the same snowflakes - I hope that ours come out as well as yours!