Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Lapbook for Figurative Language

My very creative daughter, Allison, made this lapbook all on her own! She's been working on it for the last 8 weeks. Each week, she reads a portion of her book, Figuratively Speaking, to learn about one element of figurative language in literature. I helped her by making up some template ideas that I got from this blog. Then, rather than dictate what she should do, I let her design her own book! This lapbook was a great way for her to show me that she knows what connotation, denotation, alliteration, and other figures of speech are. Best of all, she did it all without me!

Here is the outside of her simile and metaphor flap booklet.

And, here is the inside.


I especially love her illustration of personification here!
Product DetailsThis book has been a very gentle way to introduce my 8th grader to elements of literature before she starts high school. I highly recommend it!

2 comments:

my5wolfcubs said...

Love it! Very creative AND memorable!
Lee (from the WTM board)

Linda B. said...

Figurative speech is so important in literature...but I could never remember all those definitions of metaphor, etc. Nice job Allison!
Pappa