The weeks are flying by! I can't believe it's already February. We've been having fun watching the birds since it's mostly been too wet or cold to go outside much. We watched a little snowbird taking a bath yesterday. The kids have recorded another bird for their nature notebooks--the House Sparrow.

We took a break from structured art lessons this week, and I gave the kids a "free" art period. They looked at me like they had no idea what to do with themselves and this freedom, so I did suggest they could use Valentine's Day as a jumping off point. That got them going! Allison remembered a book she has with a heart mobile in it she had wanted to make for a long time.

I cut out lots of hearts in different shapes and colors, and Chloe used those and a few foam hearts to make her own heart creation. She went back later and added glitter glue--of course!

Grant, Chloe, and I finished a wonderful book this week called Trumpet of the Swan. I posted about it on my nature blog awhile back because of the things we learned about real trumpeter swans. I wanted to post about it again because the book teaches about more than just trumpeter swans and their habits. The book also contains good moral lessons to be learned. Trumpet of the Swan is one of our family favorites, and we were sorry to see the story end.
We started the book Rascal by Sterling North this week for our history read aloud. North writes of his own childhood and about his adventures with his pet raccoon, Rascal. The book is set at the time of World War I.





8 comments:
What a lovely week y'all had. I love the valentine creations.
Beautiful artwork. Trumpet of the Swan is one of our favorites too. My youngest never gets tired it and always requests it again after we finish it.
What a wonderful week! We too, love The Trumpet Swan. It's a great book.
Wonder art work kids. Yes, I love Abby's train sketch too. You kids are just too smart. I'm very proud of you (and your teacher).
Fun heart stuff. I think I know what we will be doing next week for art. ;-)
My big boys loved Rascal. My oldest drew a raccoon that my mom framed.
Mandy,
I'm glad to hear you liked Rascal. I haven't really heard much about this book.
Your children are precious. I had forgotten all about Sketch Tues. We use to do that last year. May need to check it out again.
Makes me want to start our Valentine's stuff. Wonderful projects.
Post a Comment