Saturday, May 17, 2014

Rush Revere and the Brave Pilgrims


I'll start by saying, "We loved this book!"  I first heard about this bestselling book when Kyle mentioned to me that Rush Limbaugh was up for an award for authoring it.  Rush Limbaugh??  Write a children's book??  I had to look into it.  I discovered that our local library had a copy and immediately put it on hold.  I just wanted to get a look at it, and it did sound, from the summary and reviews, like it might be worth reading.  The book had so many holds on it that we waited for several months before our time finally came to  borrow the book.

The book is beautiful!  The pages are heavy and glossy and have an old look to them.  Illustrations are spread throughout the chapters as well as pictures and artwork of things pertaining to the time period of 1620 such as the Mayflower and Samoset's visit to Plymouth Colony.  

Rush Revere is a substitute history teacher.  He and his magical horse, Liberty time travel back to 1620 in order to give the students an up close and personal look at what life was like for the Pilgrims starting life in a new land.  I read it to Chloe who couldn't get enough of it!  I feel sure that most kids would enjoy the book, but I would recommend it for children in grades 3-8.  If you liked Back to the Future, you'll love this book!  Incidentally, we just learned that Limbaugh has written another book called Rush Revere and the First Patriots.  We can't wait to read it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've heard that even adults love the book and learned so much that they never knew before. I think I want to read it too. :)