This week was full of more beautiful, sunny fall weather here in ABQ. We did all the normal stuff--math, grammar, spelling, reading, etc., but the following is the fun stuff.
Grant and Chloe making a pile of leaves...
...and then jumping in them!
Chloe is learning her 8 facts. Math U See teaches her to first count backwards by 2's. That way, she can easily see that for 8 to become 10, Mr. 8 must "steal" 2 from the other number. So, if her problem is 8 + 4, she can use the "stealing" strategy to make the problem 10 + 2 which is much easier to solve. The following pictures Chloe getting ready to jump on her next number 2 less than the number she's standing on, so she can learn to count backwards by two. How's that for a little "hands-on" learning?
We finished up our week with a trip to the zoo!
Have a great weekend everyone.


6 comments:
I love your numberline on the floor. Dd (7) would have fun with that too. The fall pictures are lovely.
Learning looks like fun at your house! I really liked the pyramid pictures.
I love all the drawings! You have wonderful artists.
I'm jealous of your leaves. We still don't have any signs of autumn yet. :-\ I'm ready for some cooler weather!
You are an amazing teacher!!! You need to write a book of all the great ideas you have!
Thanks Stacy, that's nice of you to say!
I second that Stacy! She is an amazing teacher. I think she could get a book published. I wish my teachers had known of the method you use to teach math. Maybe I would have done better. :( Great pics of the kids playing in the leaves. As usual, the kids have outdone themselves with their artwork. Great job!
Post a Comment