Chloe and I did a fun art project today that I found here. She really enjoyed chalk pastels the last time we used them, so I thought we should do another project with our chalks.
In our Elemental Science studies, we are now studying birds. Chloe and Grant helped me make a bird feeder. So far, the birds have yet to discover our feeder. I probably need to hang it a little higher than the kids were able to hang it.
Allison and I treaded uncharted waters this week. I assigned her first real research paper. I told her that for this one, she could pick whatever interested her, so she chose "ballet". Now we have the daunting task of narrowing that topic and coming up with a thesis statement. But wait! She doesn't even know what a thesis statement is yet! So, I bought a little book called Writing Great Research Papers. Allison and I are reading through it together and learning quite a lot. This week, we learned what a thesis statement is and what it is not. Allison learned a bit about the Dewey Decimal system and the Library of Congress too. So far, I have been very pleased with the book. It is easy to read and the explanations are clear and even include examples.
My big accomplish for this week-------------I finished reading The Hobbit! I have so enjoyed discussing the book with my older girls, and I thought, "Why leave Grant out of the fun?" So, he started reading The Hobbit this week too. He's enjoying it already!
A couple more books we enjoyed this week:
Last, but not least, three of the kids will participate in a rocket launch tomorrow. They worked on their rockets this week building and painting them. I thought they did a great job!
Chloe's and Grant's rockets
Allison won't have time to participate because she is in the thick of Christmas Joy rehearsals. She spends time almost every day at the ballet studio practicing. She is enjoying every minute of it, and we are all getting excited to finally see the show!

7 comments:
Lovely week. I think her pastel was better than the original. Beautiful!
We did that pastel and loved it. Sounds like a great week.
Sounds like you are busy!
Research papers, rockets, art projects- y'all just do such wonderful things!
Hope the rocket launch was fun for all! We did several with Cub Scouts -- always a great time!
Lee
PS Must check out the project link...although the idea of using pastels makes me nervous!
I love it!!!! Is it a really mean thing that the first thing I thought when you said that you had to hang the bird feeder higher than the kids could.. I was wondering... ladder? heheheh I love you guys!! :D
Oh yeah. It would take a ladder. Ha!
Post a Comment