Saturday, December 21, 2013

Christmas Goodies 2013

While Allison bakes cute, challenging, scrumptious cupcakes and treats all year long, Abby saves her talents for Christmas time.  That girl can make some killer candy!  She blesses the family with chocolate caramel truffles every year.  While I feel tormented by the delicious smell of melted caramel being stirred into creamy, melted chocolate, and then dipped into more melted chocolate and covered with my favorite Christmas-colored ball sprinkles, I love that Abby pours her heart into these candies for her cousins and siblings every year (Kyle enjoys a few as well!).  This year, Abby branched out and made another candy; one that I can eat!  Those delicious white candy balls that you see below drizzled with red and green are called "Golden Oreo truffles".  Google them or find them on Pinterest.  You won't be disappointed!  But, if you can eat chocolate, I'm sure traditional Oreo truffles would be delicious as well.

Not to be outdone by my talented daughters, I whipped up a batch of peppermint pinwheel cookies...

...and my very favorite cookies these days--"Ma's Best Butter Cookies".  These cookies have a slight crunch on the outside but are "oh so soft" on the inside!  With just a hint of ginger in them, these cookies don't stay around for long.
Ma's Best Butter Cookies

Cream together:
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
Add to above and mix well:
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
Add to above mixture:
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 t. baking soda
Roll into 1 inch balls. Roll in colored sugar. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Happy Christmas Baking!

1 comment:

Leigh Ann said...

Since we have school so late and then go to Houston, we never have time to bake for Christmas. Who said we can't bake after Christmas? We started with the Oreo balls. Yum! They are a hit. I may have to try your butter cookies next :)