Monday, March 28, 2011

Reading: Is It Really That Easy to Teach It?

For some children, the answer is yes! But, for other children, reading does not come so easily. If you are a parent of a struggling reader, then you know how easily these children get discouraged. You also know how important it is for you to exhibit patience. My posts on reading will not discuss children who have learning disabilities. If you suspect that your child has a learning disability that is keeping him from learning to read, then you might need to get outside help or even testing to determine where the problem lies. However, some children just need a little extra help, patience, and time.

So what prompted me to write this post? My four children and my experiences in teaching them to read. I am currently teaching my fourth and last child how to read. She is seven and about to finish the 1st grade. Reading, for her, has not come easily.

Yet, as I watched her writing her letters and reading words this week, I realized how much progress we have made since August! I also began to think about those parents who will soon be taking on the daunting task of teaching their first child how to read. Can I do it? What will I use? So many programs exist! How will I know which one will the best for my child? These questions swirled around in my brain 9 years ago when I taught my first child, so I know how confusing and scary the decisions can be.

In my experience, one program may be all you need. Then again, you may need to pull several methods and tricks out of your hat before you find the one that works for your child and his unique learning style. I'm planning on writing a series of posts for those who need help on choosing their first curriculum, or who just need another trick to pull out of their hat. So for now, if you have a struggling reader, let me encourage you to keep working on it, consistently, and just a little bit at a time. Be patient with your child for he can detect your impatience with him and can be easily discouraged. Five minutes a day or less may be all a child can handle in the beginning of the work that goes into learning to read.

1 comment:

Kel said...

I look forward to your upcoming posts. My oldest went to PS for K and part of 1st and reading came pretty easily for him. My dd has always been homeschooled and has struggled every bit of the way. She's now 9 and it's starting to click, we've finally moved past basic CVC words, but it has not been an easy road by any means. I have another son that is 5.5 and chomping at the bit to start, but seems to be catching on easier than his older sister.
I can't wait to see what other tips or tricks I can learn from another mom.