Monday, September 27, 2010

Pigs in a Blanket

What has been a running joke in our family has now become a family favorite--pigs in a blanket. When we first married, Kyle would dream of crescent roll dough wrapped around his favorite frank. I would quickly squash his dreams with "I can't stand those things, and I'm not ever going to make them--ever!" Kyle even recently attempted to win the kids over to his side by making pigs in a blanket one night when I was at ladies' meeting for the dinner hour. So vocal had I been in my disgust at the little piggies that the kids wouldn't even try them at first! Two children were won over, but the other two staunchly remained in the "no pigs in a blanket" camp.

And then, my friend innocently sent me an e-mail telling me about a delicious recipe that I simply must try. She said she thought of me when she made them. Pigs in a blanket. What?! Are you kidding me?! You thought of me when you made them?! I will never, ever make pigs in a blanket. Never. Ever. I will not eat them in a box. I will not eat them with a fox.....

Then she posted the recipe on her blog, and I grew curious. If those preservative laden piggies could be improved upon, would I eat them?

Not only did I make them, but I ate them and liked them. Chloe, who won't even eat pork, said, "Momma, you can make those again if you want to. I think they were pretty good!" I would have to agree, but don't take our word for it, try them for yourself. Recipe here.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Let me just say that I saw the title of your post and KNEW this is what it was about! I just didn't know what direction it was gonna go :) I am so proud of you for trying them Sydni! And the rest of your family too. What did Kyle think of them compared to his beloved PIB's?

Sydni said...

Oh, he liked them a lot too. He won't give up his like for the other--just add this one to his thumbs-up list. Ha!

Linda B. said...

I used to make those things. I don't remember that you hated them. They were similar to weenie sandwiches, which is probably why I made them.

Mom

Robyn said...

Hmmmmm... wonder if I can make these gluten free? I'm guessing without wheat the bread would be too biscuity. I may give it a whirl... we eat Hebrew National hot dogs which are beef and don't use any "yucky stuff". I agree.... the real PIB are just gross!