Thursday, September 02, 2010

Weekly Report: Ramping up the School Year

The kids and I are really enjoying our new school room. It's spacious and sunny. Even the cat likes to be with us in this room all morning long.
We don't do all of our work here because sometimes snuggling on the couch with a good book can't be beat. But, for some things, a desk is perfect.

Everyone enjoyed personalizing their desk. Can you tell that this child likes green?

And, I can't tell you how much I love my desk! It holds everything I need right at my fingertips.

Now, a peek at our week.

We added history to our science and math studies this week. One Elemental Science idea involved making a diorama of a habitat. Since we've been studying Egypt in history this week, the kids wanted to make a desert diorama complete with pyramids and sand.

We know that saguaro cacti don't dwell with Egyptian pyramids, but the kids sure had fun pretending anyway.


Our Ancient Egypt reading for this week.
Product Details Product Details Product Details

I can't believe I'm teaching Algebra on the one hand, while teaching place value with the blocks on the other. No one can say things are boring around here!

That about wraps it up. Happy Labor Day weekend!

12 comments:

Amy said...

What I wouldn't give for a designated school room and desks. Color me green with jealousy! :)

Priya said...

School room looks great, wish I had one

Sarah said...

Looks great! I'm glad you all are enjoying your new set up!

MissMOE said...

School rooms are great! There was a year that we made lots of diaramas and my kids still talk about them and look at the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Daisy said...

I'm laughing about the cactus in Egypt. What do we expect from our kids who've grown up in the desert SW. ;-p

Great week.

Nita said...

Wonderful Room I think we could put 3 of our school rooms in yours. And it is so very sunny.

My dd saw your post and said, "Oh, look mommy Math U See!, she's just like me".

We all enjoyed your Egyptian Diorama and now I have been obligated to find some shoe boxes for OUR "Egyptian Habitats".

Tonia said...

Very nice schooling space! I like the individual desks - good idea.

Tania said...

I love how you have re-purposed that front room!! Nice to have space for all!! Looks beautiful! We have done the schoolroom thing... but me and the kids just don't like to be tied to the desks so we gave it up! I am teaching Algebra this year too... It is scary!! I didn't teach it to Ethan he went to a home school one day teaching thing... That was much easier. :) Glad your year is starting out so well!! Chloe is growing up so fast! I miss you all!!! PS.. Asher would like to talk to Grant, but I know he doesn't like the phone much.. Could we do a pen pal thing with them this year?

Cara said...

I agree, the cactus is pretty cute...

Robin Johnson said...

Your Egyptian cactus reminds me of the flying elephants employed by Hannibal in my son's history notebook.

Leigh Ann said...

Abby takes after me with the love for Green. Looks great!

Lori C., Texas said...

Love the school room. :)