Thursday, September 23, 2010

Weekly Report: The One Where We Finally Add in Art!

This week, I wanted to report on curricula that I bought this year that is new to me. For elementary science, I chose Elemental Science: Biology. This is the first elementary science curriculum I have bought that I like, and I've tried quite a few. I have come to the conclusion that science is not really all that important in the early grades. Nature study and lots of good books on science topics are really all you need. However, I have a science loving boy who wanted more. What I like the most about this curriculum is that it is easy to accomplish, and it meets my goals for teaching my kids how to write. We do lots of narration, and I use it for my son's dictation exercises as well.

This week, we read about camels and did an experiment to find out why camels have large feet. Some camels have feet as large as a dinner plate! Chloe is tracing two circles--one big and one little.

She pushed the little circle right down into the sand--no problem.

When Grant attempted to push the large circle down into the sand, it wouldn't budge! Aha! That's why camels have such large feet.

I keep reading about Tigonderoga pencils. Supposedly, they are the best pencils money can buy. But, they aren't fancy. My kids like fancy. So, when I found this art project, we made our own fancy pencils!



The second new curriculum I am using this year comes from Harmony Fine Arts. I am using Ancient Art and the Orchestra for the Middle School Level. You can find out more about this great program here. I am finding enough ideas in this program to meet the needs of all four of my children.

We studied cave art, and Chloe made her own cave drawing. The other kids already did this project a few years ago, so they opted out this time.

Instead, they completed the handy notebook page included in the ancient art curriculum. They had to sketch a real cave painting and write two interesting facts from their reading.

Here are a few books we are reading:

Product DetailsProduct DetailsProduct Details

By the Shores of Silver Lake is my read aloud to Chloe and whoever else wants to listen. The first two chapters had us both in tears, so we are hoping better things happen to the Ingall's family as we read more. Ha!

If you are studying the ancient time period and haven't read The Golden Goblet yet, it is a must read! It takes place in ancient Egypt, and has had us on the edge of our seats for about the last 5 or 6 chapters. We have one chapter left to go!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Note: to everyone who thinks we start our weekend on Thursday, no we do not. Heehee! It is just easier for me to make this report on Thursday. To see what we do tomorrow (art day and field trip day), you'll have to tune in next week.

11 comments:

Robyn said...

I like your pencils! What a great idea! I REALLY like the black ones though so we'd have to get some of those gel pens to mark on those! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who cries at Laura Ingalls Wilder books! I barely made it through the early chapter book where Jack dies with my dd last year! :-0 Thanks for sharing your week!

Faith said...

Looks wonderful! Love the projects and the books.

Lori C., Texas said...

Your projects are awesome!:)

Dee said...

I really like the pencil project! :)

Carrie said...

That is so cool about the camel feet! After seeing your project pics, I don't think I'll ever forget that fun fact!!

Love your pencils, too! I bet your kiddos enjoyed that!

Daisy said...

That science sounds like a lot of fun! My Ryan would probably love it.

I'm going to show my daughter these pencils. She'll go crazy. LOL.

And The Golden Goblet was a favorite of ours. We were so sad when it finished. Great book.

Mandy in TN said...

Fun pencils! I'm looking forward to next week's art project.

Edwena said...

Very neat project. Barb's art curriculum looks awesome. We currently using her Artist/Composer study. She just makes everything so doable. We loved By the Shores of Silver Lake and are currently reading Little Town on the Prairie. I love that I get to read what I missed in my childhood :)

Karen said...

We used the Prehistoric Art book two weeks ago, and Golden Goblet is in our pile for when we start Egypt next week!

Anonymous said...

I love the pencils! And I thought I'd read all the Little House books when I was a kid, but this one doesn't seem familiar. I'll have to look it up!

Linda B. said...

Good job to all the kids! Looks like you all had a productive week.