Friday, January 23, 2009

Fabulous Friday: Weekly Report

This week we finished our history book "Calico Captive" by Elizabeth George Speare. Based on the true story of Susanna Johnson and her family, taken captive by the Indians, the book follows their journey into Montreal Canada during the French and Indian war. The Indians stopped only briefly to allow Susanna to give birth to her fourth child on the trail. We learned that the French and Indian war was not a war between the French and the Indians, but that the French and Indians banded together to fight the English for land in the New World. We all highly recommend this book, and are sad to be finished reading it.

We started a new book today called Daniel Boone: Young Hunter and Tracker. It's a part of the Childhood of Famous Americans series. If you haven't read any of these, I highly recommend them. They are written on about a third grade level, but they are so good that I read them out loud because I don't want to miss them! History was definitely our favorite subject this week!

2 comments:

Tania said...

Are these books what you do for history.. alone.. or you have books too? I think it is great!!! It is really good to have that reading time all together. I try to be good about doing that with my kids.. and then I get off track and don't do it like i should.... :-) The books sound interesting.

Sydni said...

Pretty much that's it. Allison and Abby have books they have to read for history too, but they are along the same lines as the ones that I read aloud to them. Soon, Grant will have assigned books as well. Reading good literature is the only I'll do history--otherwise it's too boring!