
2 and 1/2 cups warm water
7 to 8 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup honey
2 t. salt
2 T. vital wheat gluten
1 T. yeast
In large mixing bowl, combine water, oil, honey, salt, and gluten. Don't turn on your mixer. Float 3 cups of flour and sprinkle yeast on top of flour "raft"; turn mixer on low speed and add remaining flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Knead the dough for 5 to 10 minutes. When the dough is smooth and elastic shape into 2 loaves. Let the dough rise in baking pans until doubled in size--about 1 hour. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven. Bake loaves for 30 -35 minutes.
3 comments:
what is vital wheat gluten and where do I get it?? that looks like a great recipe! I would LOVE to try it if you can fill in those blanks for me!! :)
Tania
Thanks for the recipe, I will be trying this one for sure! I needed a good bread recipe with my new wheat grinder and all!
Tania,
Vital wheat gluten looks like flour, but a bit thicker--it is what holds the bread together and gives it a nice looking top after you bake it. I get mine in a small box near where flour is sold. The Walmart here carries it, but if you can't find it at your local store, then try a health food store. ~Sydni
Post a Comment